Effect of Drugs and Drug Addicts’ Withdrawal Process
Consuming psychotropic substances will affect body and mind generating a huge barrier both in analysis as well as in assessment of events and images. Actions originated from drugs can overlap any state, giving the body the need and the desperate seek of such an altered state –which is intense – but with little reflexivity.
In other words, the drug action informs what to think about the world, or environment, that surrounds the individual, removing any capability to assess what is right or sensible. It emerges a solid individualism gathering to itself some pleasure and ignoring all the rest. Things gain a special highlight due to those personal changes. Mind assess the immersive environment according to the only incoming data and representations.
Ironically, one can say that you have a constrained mental freedom where there is not capability to foresee incoming problems. It will only be fair to assume that drugs (or any other psychotropic substance) will suppress the natural ability to be aware of bad things and instead, create comfortable moments, fully capable of deceiving both pain and sorrow. Such imaginary compensation comes from a false security related to drugs; an illusion of consolation that arrives to overcome the social and relational behavior management issues.
With all of the above, there is now an issue to assess the problems originated from one’s acts. A barrier now stands between the individual and the reality his mind now accepts, generating a new time and space, providing a twisted perception of reality. As a direct result, it will be hard to regulate this new reality in his mind, as well as the emotions, together with the real reality and the surrounding environment.
The new regulation of the body presents a limited human being (both in analytical and adaptability capabilities) as a direct result of the consumed substances. One can say that it restricts free will.
Revert the Process:
In order to recover the body from this drug addiction (or other substances) and to reverse the situation, it is necessary to reorganize the pleasure and pain systems. Such is intended so that the physiological system can function well, keeping away the states of fear and panic the drug addict experiences before getting his product (drugs). It can indeed be vital to reverse such dependence.
Physical withdrawal is quite important so that the mind – without the presence of the drug – can assume its pathological condition and gain consciousness of the physical and mental state in the absence of drug. Although such may cause stress and inconsistency in an early stage, physical withdrawal’s main goal is to make the patient cease consumption without suffering the withdrawal symptoms. Such will be achieved with the aid of pharmacological procedures that will ease the correction of the brain dysfunction.
Steps in the Withdrawal Process and Recovery of the Patient:
- Quality medical care for a solid reconstruction of the patient’s self-esteem, aiming for an independent and free of drugs environment.
- Group psychological interventions with particular attention to personal changes and relationships with others.
Education and awareness on health. Expose the drug’s effects on the organism, negative actions and consequences that it can activate on the patient.
- To have meetings together with family members in order to reduce the emotional distance within the family.
- Recreational activities that encourage the patient’s awareness and sensitivity at the same time that memories related to drugs consumption and its habits are removed.
- Physiotherapy sessions keeping a close eye to the patient’s evolution. Make the patient realize that his body is better now and far from the negative state that drug addiction causes.
- Educate towards a healthy daily routine (food and hygiene), as well as guaranteeing that the patient has a normal behavior in society.