What are some highly addicted foods?
Highly palatable foods are foods that are rich in sugar, fat and salt. Highly palatable foods do trigger feel-good brain chemicals such as dopamine, kind of like addictive drugs.
When individuals show symptoms of food addiction, it may also develop a tolerance to food. They tend to eat more and more, only to find out that food satisfies them less and less. Most scientists believe that people with food addiction may play an important role in becoming overweight or obese.
People who weigh average (normal) for their height, may also struggle with food addiction as well. Their own bodies may easily be genetically programmed to handle the extra calories they take in better than others. Or, they might possibly increase their exercise routines to being satisfied when over eating.
Individuals whom are addicted to food will further be addicted and continue to eat and eat despite the bad consequences, for instance, weight gain, and possible damaged relationships or friendships. Those who are addicted to gambling or drugs, for example, will have lots of trouble ending their behavior, and it doesn’t matter how bad they want to.
Some Signs of Food Addiction:
- You eventually eat more than you’ve planned when you are starting to eat certain types of foods.
- You tend to keep consuming those certain types of foods, if you are not hungry anymore.
- You eat to the point where you feel sick to your stomach.
- You are concerned about not eating certain foods or even concerned about limiting certain foods.
- When certain kinds of foods aren’t accessible, you’ll do anything possible to get them.
- You consume certain grub so repeatedly or in such huge quantities that you then begin to eat so much rather than working, doing activities or even spending time with your friends and family.
- You tend to shun friendly or professional/work situations where those specific foods are present because of the despair of overeating.
- You may have difficulty functioning efficiently at your school or your work place because of eating.
Some symptoms of food addiction include anxiety, agitation, physical symptoms, emotional symptoms, social symptoms, as well as spiritual symptoms:
1) Physical Symptoms:
- “Do you think you can’t take control of your food intake, especially high sugar and junk-type foods?”
- “Have you ever tried a healthy diet or a weight loss program, but it never worked or wasn’t ever permanent?”
- “Have you ever vomited, used laxatives, or exercised so much to avoid a weight gain after you’ve eating too much?”
There are many, many food addicts that are overweight and/or obese, who has tried various methods for weight control (diets, drugs, etc), and yet, nothing has been permanent. But on the other hand, there are many food addicts out there who have never been obese in their life, which is because their weight has been controlled by extreme diseases (such as anorexia).
It doesn’t even matter what version of food addiction fits your lifestyle, all of these signs and symptoms of food addiction becomes more and more serious with time, and may one day lead to severe problems that can possibly create an early and likely painful death.
2) Emotional Symptoms:
- “Have you ever found yourself depressed, sad, ashamed, and even hopeless about your eating habits and/or your body weight?”
- “Do you ever find yourself pigging out when you are upset?”
- “Have you in your life noticed after eating sugar, wheat, or even flour, that you become more and more annoyed with yourself”
Individuals who are addicted to food sometimes notice their mental state become more and more intense and severe when eating the foods you are most absorbed to. For many, emotional life may fail into hopelessness, depression, or even thoughts of suicide.
3) Social Symptoms:
- Do you choose to eat alone somewhere so that nobody will see you?
- Do you turn down special events because you may feel like you don’t fit any of your clothes, or feel like you’re not good enough?
- Do you tend to take other people’s food off their plates?
- Are you always curious to know what kinds of foods are served at events or gatherings?
The social life of a food addict is damaged by a severe obsession thought about food. Those who are food addicts frequently hide, steal other people’s foods, or secretly eat it.
4) Spiritual Symptoms:
- Do you have a strong feeling that your lifestyle would be fine if some things (or people) would change?
- Do you often pray to God and ask him to help you with your weight? Then feel he isn’t answering back to you?
Individuals who are food addicts find their lives less controllable or completely chaotic when consuming wheats, flours, and/or sugars.
This biochemical condition is incessant, continuous, and deadly. During the later stages of this specific type of disease, hopelessness becomes our daily partner. Apprehension fill us; we became deserted in a room full of different individuals. Plenty of times, we try to please our soul needs with food, only to find the exact bareness within.
As our confidence vanishes and our health decays, we search desperately for a way out of it. Diets develop into our higher competence, only to decline us over and over again. Most people who are addicted to food erupt their lives and can not any more define sensibility. With moderation from sugars, wheats and flours, as well as other possible high-carb foods, we can seek hope to live our lives.